Sunday, August 3, 2014

Relief Society Fair--Talent and Fun

Relief Society is an amazing worldwide organization for women 18 and over with over 29,000 units in 175 countries and 80 languages. Its goals are to increase faith and personal righteousness, strengthen families and homes, and seek out and help those in need.  



September 27, 2013--The Relief Society women of the Suva North Stake put on this fantastic fair. First they had a spiritually uplifting program and then we went from room to room to see and buy the beautiful things the sisters had created. The mats are handwoven from leaves. I have seen women spread them out on their floors when guests come. They are also spread on the ground to sit on at the park and sports events. There are lots of pretty things on display in this room pictured above.

Here I learned quickly that when I see something I like, I need to buy it right then. When I came back, most of these ties were gone. I did pick up about three of them for my grandsons.

My companion snatched up a similar large shell with a flower arrangement to decorate our flat. As I understand, no one is allowed to take these large shells off the island, so we will enjoy while we may.


This is Sister Devi and my companion to her right in the background. Sister Devi was intrigued with the display for Young Women for she has a teenage daughter named Kajel. We have enjoyed meeting with this family in their home every week. 

The art of crochet is alive and well in Fiji. I love all the colorful crocheted pieces stitched together. I am not sure whether this is a small tablecloth, a beginning of a bed spread, or a wall hanging.
My companion has ordered a tablecloth like this one pictured. It is beautiful and very detailed.











I thought the designer had created an amazing variety of jewelry pieces. Keti Balenacagu and her daughter Sai (pronounced Sy) handmade these. She was kind enough to bring them to the office and I bought several of her necklaces as gifts for my daughters and others.


Sai on the left and her mother Keti on the right are pictured here singing, so they have multiple talents. I wish you could hear their beautiful harmony. Sai recently returned from her mission in Kiribati. She is now at BYU-Hawaii. The other woman in the center is the Stake Primary President and also teaches piano at the LDS College. They all live in Lami. I imagine Keti's  daughter is holding the handwritten music.





Below is a photo of people gathering and waiting for the entertainment to begin--lots of singing and dancing. It was such a treat. I thought it was fun the way they wrapped the support columns with festive fabric.

 

This is a group of women and girls from the Samabula First Ward. It is an English speaking ward and so has more ethnic diversity. The front row of girls are all from Kiribati (pronounced Keer-a-bus). On 
middle row you can see an Indo-Fajian and a South Korean young woman. They all have great fun together. The bishop of this ward is from Rotuma.


These young women are all from Tamavua Second Ward --the English-speaking ward I attend. They are singing "You're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone" and providing rhythm with cups and hand-clapping. The two on the far left and right are Solomone girls. Their parents met at BYU-Hawaii. Their mother is Hawaiian and their father is Rotuman. They now live in Kiribati where their father is principal of the college. The other two girls are Savaira and Amelia Veikoso. Their father is Fijian and their mother is from Tonga. The youth are so spiritually strong in Fiji.

Now these women from the Samabula Second Ward (Fijian speaking) 
know how to have fun and love to dance.


 I thought these girls had the prettiest costumes. I like their colorful patchwork skirts, the flowers in their hair, their crisp white blouses, and their pearl necklaces.
The woman dancing is Frances Ramaqa (pronounced Ray-mong-a). She is one of our piano students and is very lively and fun. She attends the Tacirua Ward which is a Fijian speaking ward. Most of them also speak English, but they like to retain their Fijian language.






These dancers are wearing wrap-around sulus.
These women of all ages in blue company T-shirts are all having a good time and are good dancers.

No comments:

Post a Comment